16th March 2020
I would like to thank you for your patience and support in a time of uncertainty around the Coronavirus. We have been fortunate so far that no member of staff or students has been diagnosed with the virus, but following government advice, over 15% of our classroom based staff have today self-isolated. In order to ensure students remain safe, staff to student ratios are of paramount importance. We have, therefore, made the decision to close until at least Monday, 23rd March.
Obviously, our key concern is the health of everyone in the school community, and that students continue to receive the very best standards of education possible.
It is vital that education continues and teachers will be setting work which students will bring home in the form of a work pack, with further work being posted out to your home address during the school closure.
A daily brief will be emailed out to students, parents and carers to share updates, guidance and directions to accessing learning. We will also update our website with links to online learning forums and teaching resources and videos.
At the moment the advice from the examination boards is to continue to prepare as normal. We are monitoring this closely of course, and will communicate any changes, but students must try to focus on revision.
The school will also ensure that students with exams at the end of the year will have access to online learning (where students do not have access to laptop/computer/tablet and/or internet access, the school will support families to limit the disruption to learning)
Trips and visits
We have taken the decision to cancel/postpone all trips abroad for the remainder of this academic year. This follows a statement from the government at the end of last week, saying that foreign trips are ‘not advised’. This is because trip leaders would face significant challenges in making arrangements to ensure children’s welfare, should adult supervisors or children be required to self-isolate.
The school will continue to keep parents and carers informed of any changes as they occur. We will endeavour to keep the school website updates as they come to us.
If you have any further questions
Please consult the:
- School reception, if you have any questions about our response to this issue
- Safeguarding/family concerns, please call Helena (Safeguarding Lead and Deputy Head) and/or Sara (Head of School) on the school mobile phones directly: 07940 355448
- All staff will be accessible throughout the school closure via email (email@example.com) and will be contactable during work hours
If you have any concerns about the virus and the implications for you and your family:
Please consult the:
- NHS, if you want to know more about the symptoms of coronavirus. If you think you or your child may have the symptoms, use NHS 111 online if at all possible before calling 111
- Department for Education’s coronavirus helpline: 0800 046 8687, if you have any questions about the government’s response to coronavirus in relation to schools
- Government’s travel advice, if you want to know whether any upcoming trip or holiday you’re taking abroad should go ahead
Head of School